Sunday, September 2, 2018

Supermarkets: Multiple Locations

Aldi
Aldi Aldi Aldi! Where to begin? I'll start with the regular items. The bread. When I first started trying wheat free breads, Aldi bread wasn't great, they have since changed bakers and I have no proof of this, but I'm pretty sure Country Life is their new baker. It's the same shape and size, it smells the same and it tastes the same, only it's $3.99, compared to $6 for Country Life from Coles.

The Thai style prawn skewers are also a sneaky LowFodmap, unfortunately their other prawn skewer flavours contain garlic, and of course it's always best to make your own, but let's be realistic, if you're like me and you work all day and have a one hour commute each way, sometimes that's just not going to happen, so it's really convenient to have something that cooks so quickly, that tastes good, that doesn't have garlic in it.

The pastas are cornflour based and are LowFodmap, but they are an acquired taste. I find I can tolerate them with a strong sauce (if I go with a bolognaise with olives, eggplant, some fresh rocket mixed through, yes) but lighter sauces like some seafood and white wine, I can't do it. But you may find you really like the taste, so it's worth a try, and they are cheaper than a lot of other GF pasta brands.

The GF flour is fabulous, I've added a picture of my homemade pikelets made with the Aldi GF SRF, I'm very proud of them and as my daughter would exclaim "they taste normal though?!" Not all GF flours are equal and this is a very good all purpose, and, like the bread and the pasta, it's cheaper than the name brand options. I've made cakes, biscuits, slices, homemade ravioli, damper, pizza bases, used it to coat fish and it works.

The real gems are in the middle aisle when they do their gluten free sales though. Some of my favourites that I'm hoping come back for a second time around are the rice crumbs, the tiger bread mix, the gingerbread loaf and the lemon mousse cake (which can be made LowFodmap by using lactose free milk).

Which reminds me, their lactose free milk is also cheaper than most of the other ones you will find around.


Gerwuzhaus

Locations: Carlton, Hawksburn Village, The Block Arcade, Queen Victoria Market, Chadstone

This isn't a supermarket, it's a specialty spice shop, but they really are worth a visit. They don't specifically mark LowFodmap items, but if you know what you can't have (or if you have the Monash app in hand) every spice is clearly labelled with the ingredients, and you scoop out as much as you want yourself. I've found a lot of suprmarket blend spices have onion and garlic, and again, yeah I can make my own spice blends, but I have other things going on and sometimes I just want to put some good flavour in there as quickly as possible.
If you can't get to one of the stores, they also have an online store here, but you can only get the large(ish) jars:
https://gewurzhaus.com.au

A few of my favourites from here are:
South Indian seafood masala, Australian macadamia dukkah, Chocolate spice (I often add this to gluten free porridge mixes and it masks the quinoa/amaranth taste), Raj's majestic chai masala.

No comments:

Post a Comment